The Processing center known as CPC for all income tax-related processing on the processing of the ITR takes a maximum of one month to give away the refunds. However, many times there are small reasons due to which the refunds get delayed. If you are one of those whose refund has not been received and you do not know what to do. Take a look:
Learn how you can check the status of your tax refund
The income tax department has an e-filing portal on which you can easily check the status of your refund likewise it can also be checked on the website of NSDL (National Securities Depository Limited)
Mentioned below is the stepwise guide to check the refund on the website of NSDL and the Portal for e-filing:
Step 1: Visit the NSDL website for tracking of refund
Step 2: The web page that appears demands your details and the PAN number. Click the “proceed button” after filling in the details properly.
Step 3: You get an image that reflects the status of your refund.
Step 1: The page of the portal allows you to log in
Step 2: You must select View Returns/ Forms
Step 3: You have to choose “My Account” and click on “Income Tax Returns”. Submit the details.
Step 4: You must click the acknowledgment number
Step 5: The page displayed shows the status of your refund and details of the return as well.
Reasons for Delay of your Refund
The two major reasons for the delay of your income tax refunds could be:
- Mismatching information between the details filled in the return and the details that are available with the department of tax can delay your refunds for sure.
- If the details of the bank account are not correct or do not match, the refunds can definitely be delayed.
You could follow the below-mentioned procedure to make sure you get your refund
- Reviewing of ITR: The very first step that you must take if you do not get your refund even after two months of filing the return is to check and review your return properly for checking any kind of error from your end. A review of your ITR helps you find your mistakes.
- Need of Additional Information: There are many cases in which the department needs added information regarding something. You can easily get in touch with the officer who is assessing and submitting the documents they need. This helps in the quick processing of your refunds.
- Get the re-evaluation done: If the tax amount to be paid by you reflects outstanding in your account the refund gets rejected. You are sent a notice regarding the same if that is the case. All you need to do is do a recalculation of the tax you are liable to pay and the refund that must be received by you. If your figures are correct and the same has been filled by you in the return form you just have to support your claim by finding a rectification. If you get the error and you have filed a wrong ITR. You must pay the dues within the stipulated time and claim your refund.
- ITR Mistakes: The major reason for the delay of refund is the wrong form used for filing ITR, spelling error for vital personal information, etc. The technology has made it convenient for the Income-tax departments to process the refunds electronically, by crediting the amount of refund directly into the account of the taxpayer. Your bank details and your personal details everything has to be accurate. Your PAN number has to be correct and it must be linked to the bank account number that you have given. So, if your refund gets delayed. Go to the portal of the income tax, check all your details, and correct any kind of discrepancy from your end.
- It is important to pre-validate your bank account: This procedure is very important for proper communication with the income tax department. You just have to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Visit the website of the income tax department, you can easily log in with your PAN number and password
- Go to the profile settings and then click
- You will find the option to pre-validate your bank account. Click that.
Most of the banks are integrated with the portals for e-filing. In that case, direct pre-validation is possible through net banking and electronic verification code. All you have to provide is your account number, mobile number, email id linked to your account, and IFSC code. Only if you have provided the correct contact detail, the income tax department will be able to communicate with you.
If you are authorized for some refund amount, you will definitely get it. It is important is to take out time to check everything properly and communicate it to the authorities in the Income Tax Department.