How to surrender PAN in case there are more than one PAN(s) allotted?


A PAN (Permanent Account Number) is a unique number of 10 alphanumeric characters that is assigned to every tax payer by the Income Tax Department on behalf of the Government of India. A PAN is valid for the holder’s lifetime and only one PAN can be assigned to any tax paying entity. However there is quite a possibility that any individual or entity could have been allotted multiple PAN cards.

Process to Cancel Duplicate PAN Card

How to Surrender PAN Card
How to Surrender PAN Card


Possible reasons for having Multiple PAN Cards:

  • He may have applied multiple times for allotment of PAN and every time he has been allotted a PAN card; or
  • Due to administrative errors by the Income tax Department, NSDL or UTI.

“Note:  As per the Income Tax Law, holding more than one PAN card is a criminal offense and can attract a penalty of Rs. 10,000/- imposed under section 272B of the Income Tax Act, 1961 for having more than one PAN”

How to surrender PAN in case multiple PANs have been allotted?

Assessee can apply for surrender of PAN card by either of the two methods mentioned below:

Offline Process to Surrender PAN card

In order to surrender your PAN, you need to write a letter addressed to the Assessing Officer under whose jurisdiction your Income Tax is filed. The aforementioned letter must contain the following details:

  1. Name of Assessee
  2. Date of birth (or date of incorporation in case of companies)
  3. Address or Contact Details of Assessee
  4. Details of the PAN card to be retained,
  5. Details of the duplicate PAN card(s) which you need to surrender
  6. Post or hand over the letter to the nearest tax office and keep the acknowledgement received. The acknowledgment indicates the duplicate PAN cards have been cancelled by the Department

Alternatively, you can fill up Form 49A for Change or Correction in PAN by mentioning the PAN which you are using currently on top of the form. All other PAN/s inadvertently allotted to you should be mentioned at item no. 11 of the form and the corresponding PAN card copy or copies should be submitted for cancellation along with the form. Submit the form at the nearest UTI or NSDL TIN facilitation center.

Online Process to Surrender PAN card

  • Visit the Income Tax Department website
  • Go to the ‘Surrender Duplicate PAN’ option
  • Enter the details of the duplicate PAN number(s) and the PAN you wish to retain as well as your personal details such as full name, date or birth (date of incorporation in case of companies) and contact details
  • Submit the form, whereupon you will be directed as to the further process

Holding more than one PAN is an offense therefore it is advisable to surrender the extra PAN(s) allotted to you in due course of time to avoid the repercussions that might arise.

Related Read- Penalties for having Duplicate PAN Card

READ  Life Insurance Policy Payouts - Are they Taxable or Not?