From a taxpayer point of view, registration under the GST regime will be the prime factor. The GST system, under its umbrella, would cover all the indirect taxes which are levied by the Indian government. It would be levied during consumption, and the final tax would be calculated taking into consideration the input taxes paid, similar to the VAT system.
Who needs to get registered for GST?
- Business which crosses the threshold limit
- Businesses which are currently registered with the State (VAT) or Central (Excise / Service Tax) authorities
- Taxable person who is carrying on interstate trade
- Any businesses which are liable under reverse charge in GST
- Any businesses that wish to collect GST or claim input
Time Limit for Registration
Each and every service provider or a Manufacturer or a dealer who is registered under State Vat laws or Central Excise or Service tax shall automatically get the registration number based on PAN without applying for any fresh application.
For a new dealer, the dealer needs to apply via online for registering himself with GST.
- A dealer who crosses the prescribed threshold limit needs to get registered within 30 days within 30 days from the day of the crossing of the threshold limit.
- In any other cases, the dealer needs to get registered within a period of 30 days from the day of becoming liable for registration.
Documents required for GST registration:
- Company’s PAN card
- Proof of constitution such as Memorandum of Association, Articles of Association, partnership deed, certificate of incorporation.
- Proof and details of place of business such as electricity bill or rent agreement
- A canceled cheque exhibiting account holder name, IFSC code, MICR code and bank branch details
- Also, the authorized signatories such as partners list containing details such as address and identity proof in case of partnership firm or directors list containing details such as address and identity proof in case of company.
- NSDL has been authorized for maintaining the GST Portal and developing the functionalities.
- As a taxpayer, you would be allotted a 15 (fifteen) digit common identification number that would refer as “Goods & Service Tax Identification Number” which will be a based on your PAN.
- For dealers, the online application would be provided for entering their details and uploading the prescribed documents.
- Registration comprises of steps such as registering themselves at the Enrolment page, and with the help of the login id and password login in into the portal, and then filling application form and uploading the required documents which are related to Service Tax, excise, CIN, IEC, and providing the details in the form such as postal address, contact numbers, E-mail address, banking details such as MICR code, IFSC code, bank branch along with other details such as place of business, goods & services related to the business.